ThysdrusRoman Coliseum of El-Jem

Panem et Circensis

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tunis, Tunisia, Tunisia

Saturday, November 26, 2005

The "State" Of Muslim Women

The British Channel 4 News spoke to the woman who collaborated with the late controversial Dutch film maker Theo van Gogh about the treatment of Muslim women. Ayaan Hirsi Ali, the woman who wrote the script, is born a Muslim and of Somali descent but now she is one of Holland's most controversial politicians, according to the Channel.

The report broadcasted by Channel 4, is unforunately about four minutes long after which I found myself puzzled over this woman's scattered standpoints regarding Islam. Moreover she hardly mentioned the real situation of woman in Islam except claiming that "Today there's no Muslim country or a country with Muslim majority where what I am doing is possible". I advise Ms. Ali to reconsider her statement simply because I think of it constitutes an offense to many Muslim women who are struggling for their rights.If any one has the whole video clip please let me know.

4 Comments:

Blogger Flying_Monkeys said...

This lady comes from a fairly open-minded family. I watched a 90 mns documentary about her. Documentary made by Dutch TV. In my humble opinion she's a true opportunist. The Dutch who suffer similar racism and inequality problems than the French, wanted to use her to show that they're for diversity. This is by no means the case. I stayed at Deventer, Holland for a while and for sure Morrocans suffer down there.
Back to our pseudo-cahmpion who says that converted on her own will and cut all links with her family after she became a christian. She is probably a capable person, but she did nothing to show the true face of Islam and to dissociate the tribal rituals in her country from the religion.
According to her Dad, she will return back to Islam one of these days and she will try to explain that this whole thing was a misunderstanding!
It's just sad! and the media made it even worse.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Hannibal said...

NFMZ, thank you for the clarifying piece of information you provided. I humbly say that I misunderstood Ms. Ali's statement . I thought that she was still a Muslim when she said what she said, but knowing that she converted to Christianism she is not to blame. Never theless I think that Ms. Ali seems to be torn between her family, culture, and society and the new enviroment she embraced.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Flying_Monkeys said...

Hannibal. You say she's "torn", I know a bunch of people that are torn such us the immigrants' kids in France but this lady I assure you she was full of true hatered. I was shocked to see her speak in that manner about Islam and her own culture. I must stress that media and politicans used her in a very decitful way to show how one religion prevails on the other.

12:24 AM  
Blogger Hannibal said...

NFMZ: let's be clear:) When I said this lady is "torn", I am not sympathizing with her, I just wanted to stress the fact that she is living a disturbed life where her identity is at stake.This lady has lost her family, her country, her culture, her religion, and all these factors contribute to the tormented state of mind she is trapped in.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home