ThysdrusRoman Coliseum of El-Jem

Panem et Circensis

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tunis, Tunisia, Tunisia

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Yiddish: The National Language Of No Where?

My first discovery of Yiddish as a language by itself goes back to my english literature class at the University. If my memory is not wrong, some characters of Harold Pinter's play "The Homecoming" (1965) used Yiddish words. At that time I was taking german courses at the Goethe Institute of Tunis something that helped me alot in understanding Yiddish, which is basically a germanic language.The following review via Arts & Letters Daily gives you more details on Yiddish and its history.

3 Comments:

Blogger Flying_Monkeys said...

Very interesting, thanks for the info. I always thought that Yiddish was a variety of Hebrew that got westernized. In fact, never thought of it as a germanic language (jüdisch) since it uses the same alphabet than hebrew.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Hannibal said...

It is my pleasure NFM and thank you for being a regular reader of my blog. I enjoyed listening the Today's Playlist over your blog I wonder if it is possible to download some of the songs there:)

1:20 PM  
Blogger Flying_Monkeys said...

sure email me the song/artists you want to get and I will send them to you via yousendit.com
you can also leave a tag on my blog just in case you dont want to use your email. ciao

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home