ThysdrusRoman Coliseum of El-Jem

Panem et Circensis

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tunis, Tunisia, Tunisia

Monday, April 02, 2007

The Maghreb's Seismic Hazard Map




"The Mediterranean coast of Africa, the Maghreb, is the most seismically active part of the continent. Algeria, in particular, has suffered large earthquakes throughout its history. As the African plate converges with Europe, its northern edge is beginning to thrust over the marine crust of the Mediterranean floor and spawn subduction earthquakes." (more)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember only one seismic activity which occured during my childhood in menzel bourguiba (mid-1980's)..It was quiet impressive, I remember the table in the living room was displaced and the chandelier kept shaking for a minute or two.

7assilou rabii yostorna.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Hannibal said...

@Tarek: my first experience with a relatively strong earthquake was in 1995 I guess during my unversity days in Sousse I was in the dormitory (7th floor) talking to a friend and it was like 10 pm when i felt the floor moving under my feet it was really a weired feeling and at that moment I knew it was an earthquake and I don't tell you the panic that was in the dormitory where all the students were scrumbling on the stairs everyone trying to save himself and get out!I remember that we spent the night outside of the dormitory, thank God it was summer but some guys were under the shower and out of panic they left the shower as they were :P another sad incident a guy jumped from the window of the 5th floor out of fear and fortunately he just broke his leg what a nightmarish day!

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home