ThysdrusRoman Coliseum of El-Jem

Panem et Circensis

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tunis, Tunisia, Tunisia

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Facebook Le Y3eyrouk

I was somehow away from the blogosphere these last couple of weeks but I came back and as usual I went through what has been posted so far during my absence and know what I was flabber-gasted!. The hero of show was of course "Facebook".
Everybody talked about Facebook; how Facebook was censured in Tunisia, how facebook was no longer working in Tunisia because Mr. so and so that Facebook has issued a press statement, that Facebook was working in certain regions in Tunisia and blocked in others, that Facebook will never work in Tunisia... Indeed the world was upside down because of Facebook!
I know some will hate me for what I am saying right now and I cannot blame them for it, I am myself a member of Facebook and I know how amusing and nonethless distracting website it is but to the extent that it becomes like an obsession, a fixation, a mania, a pathology for me, No thank you I don't need Facebook then.
I can however understand the somehow exagerated and over the edge reaction of certain tunisian "facebookophiles", it is like waking up in the morning and you discover that your email box was hacked or just disappeared from the net or also hat you lost your cell phone and with it all your contact information.
Facebook surely provides an easy to acceed to website where people can interact, and act, where people from every spot in the world are interconnected and thus can exchange ideas and visions but I can simply explain the tunisian blogosphere's reaction to Facebook's disappearance from the Tunisian internet scene, as an emotional purge that had its roots in prior similar incidents but I couldn't really apprehend how the idea of Facebook was the only and most outstanding issue that dominated the blogosphere for the last couple of weeks. I personally found it unprecedented in the history of tunisian blogging except for some of the constructive debates over some other issues which I consider much more important than Facebook.
I am now confused, troubled, saddened, puzzled by what is lingering in the Tunisian collective conscience what are the real reasons behind such hyper-emotional and impulsive over-reactions of certain fellow tunisians? what is secret in Facebook that it had created such a virtual upheaval ? Is it a compensation of something they miss? is it a reaction to an overall picture of some problems in the tunisian society? Are my fellow Tunisians aware that there are much more important issues than the Saga of Facebook?
I might be like singing out of the chorus but as a member of the tunisian blogosphere that was a personal reaction to a particular event that dominated the blogosphere for the last couple of weeks or so. I might be wrong or a bit harsh but nonetheless I hope the storm is over now...

Long Live Facebook and God Bless Facebook! and as we say in tunisian "facebook le y3eyrouk"

1 Comments:

Blogger MAD DJERBA said...

Facebook is not the problem. It is censorship, which is intolerable. Youtube and Dailymotion are already inaccessible, the list is growing and the right to free access to information and communication tools is once again flouted.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home